Social Marketing 2.0 — How to Seed the Social Graph

by Shelly on November 18, 2011 · Comments

Our COO and co-founder, Jed Carlson is in San Francisco at Billboard’s FutureSound conference giving a really ground-breaking presentation on how to use Facebook’s social graph to exponentially grow your fan base. I’ve got a copy of the slides and thought those of you not in SF, might enjoy a peek. His message is super positive, revolving around the simple fact that there are fans out there for EVERY musician. And, with smart use of social marketing, for many artists it can be less expensive to find new fans (even on the other side of the world) than to convert folks in their own backyard.

Take a look and let us know what you think.

Comments

1. Stanmore says:

I was personally disappointed by my own ‘promote it’ experience but these numbers are interesting.

2. Stanmore says:

I would put my music under folk or alt folk which makes it pretty medium in most areas according to these stats. Maybe my music is less likeable than others coz I didn’t go very well with my ‘promote it’ campaign. You tell me g bones.

3. evolvor says:

There’s definitely a TON of “noise” in the rap and hip-hop genres. The barrier-to-entry to produce and record (no instruments, just software) for the majority of those trying to get heard is very low, which means more competition (and more crap!)

While I do like the data Reverb is getting from this product, and that it is being shared, I would like to see more of using Reverb’s tools to actually use the “social graph” rather then just promoting the Facebook product.

Thanks for your feedback, Eric. We like to think that all of our tools are designed to make the most of the social graph — many of them help artists connect with and manage fan bases. And with Promote It, we’ve found a way to find NEW fans (wherever they are) and start new fan hubs. Are you looking for something more specific? Let us know what you have in mind.

Thanks for your comment. We’d like to hear more about your experience — what you liked, what you didn’t, what you tested or tweaked second time around (if you ran more than one campaign). As Jed’s presentation points out — and the numbers show — some genres do better than others. And, as the second to last slide mentions, testing is imperative. We’ve found that just switching out the artist photo or choosing other bands that are “similar” to your style can make all the difference. In your case, our product manager Nick suggests you try again and choose similar artists all with less than 500,000 likes on Facebook. And, Nick says you should try our new multiple photos feature that will optimize between up to four photos in one campaign. If you do, let us know how it goes. Keep the feedback coming!

6. phil says:

help me grow…..

7. kendusky says:

Pls can u throw more light on why is rap music fan acquisition
    Is d highest in cost n least shared?bcos in africa n asia rap,hip hop
    And r nb are far more embrace than rock n country music.thank u.

8. Bob Findlay says:

Great article, pal. You’ve covered every base and then some. You’ve also done it in such a way that is ‘pleasing’ to read yet crammed with information.

@kendusky — Thanks so much for looking over the presentation and sending in your question. First, I wanted to let you know that nearly 90% of PROMOTE IT campaigns right now are originated in US, Canada, Australia and Europe, so that could mean that results for those in Africa and Asia things could be a bit different. But, from what we’ve seen so far, genres that are embraced by a smaller audience actually have higher rate of sharing and lower cost of fan acquisition. We think that fans of niche genres are typically more dedicated music fans and want to discover new music and that they often respond better to ads about new music and share the music with the friends who also like the same niche genre. It may be that genres like rap and hip hop tend to be embraced by a wider audience, which often includes casual music fans who might not be actively looking for new music. Hope that helps!

10. MUZOCIAL – Social Networking For The Music Industry

Muzocial is a newly developed social networking site for musicians, bands, songwriters and the international music community at large, if you have music, songs or a sound that you would like to share, are involved in any area of the Music Industry, selling music or looking for collaboration on then we may have the site that allows you to futher your career, we offer audio/video chat for our members to collaborate and many other features which we are developmenting….check us out.

What do you require from a site like this for it to work for you???

11. Really interesting article.
    Thanks!!!
    Fabio

12. Alex says:

really nice,we are trying to combine genres before, but now it makes sense. thx

13. Yes, great, if you have a credit card! Although I have money in my Pay Pal Account, I can’t use it to pay ‘Promote it’ even though they have my Bank details!!!!!!!

14. Mariana says:

Hi Sheila – You normally can pay Promote It with PayPal. If you are not able, you need to contact your payment source, clear up that error, and then re-try the purchase.