Bands Say Facebook ‘Likes’ Worth ~3X More Than Twitter, 11X More Than Google+

by Shelly on December 15, 2011 · Comments

We’ve all done it – compared our number of Facebook “Likes” with others, or bragged about how many twitter followers or email subscribers we have. Everyone wants to see how they measure up and social connections seem to make it easy. But here at Reverb, we started to wonder which social connection meant the most to artists. Friends, fans, followers?  So, in conjunction with Digital Music News we developed a survey and sent it out to over 2000 Reverb artists. The results are pretty clear.
So now we know what…but we’re still wondering why? Why, for example, do artists value a Facebook like (a fan they ‘rent’ from Facebook) more than a mailing list subscriber (a fan they ‘own’)?  And what makes a Facebook “like” three times more valuable than someone who follows you on Twitter?  We have our own theories, but want to hear from you.
Leave a comment below and tell us why you think artists have ranked these social connections the way they have.

Comments

1. Wicked D says:

Then again, bands also once believed that hundreds, even thousands of Myspace “friends” were legitimate, living, breathing, “fans.”

It may be because FB is currently the easiest way to communicate with the most people vs the other networks. Again, thinking in quantity not quality. Building relationships is the new black, but it needs to be targeted to a specific niche in order to eventually convert interactions into transactions, right?

2. Tammie Shepperd (PINKME) says:

I think I joined as a person who is in love w/Music…I am not an Artist, I like to see new Artist and help with exposure for them…I love what I do… just wish I had more time!! Love all my Friends/Fan of all these amazing Artist! On Reverb. been a member for about 2 yrs now?? Love your Page…Hey ya to all my friends on Reverb and my being their fan is such a plesure! God Bless…wish you all Merry Healthy Holidays… Tammie/Pinkme on Reverb….!!! I know one of my favs, her Album for 2012 is coming out at the first of the year…Joon Wolfsberg it will be called Melon Jam all songs, music written by her…only 19…and 3rd Album she has cut!! I don’t know any other’s that I am following comming out w/ an album soon, so this is why your name is not here…wait! Annie Goliath: Priests, Poets and Theves,yes Annie fm Londontown! Do not know the release date, she too does it ALL herself!xx Tammie Shepperd Indiana, USA

3. Tacheba T says:

Hi, Iam a new artist to the music industry breaking the music history with a contemporary rock Gospel. All what I want to do is to serve the world with Goodnews of Jesus Christ and spread His love to the man kind to transform and comfort those with broken heart that in God there is still hope of life just identify yourself and relocate into a better life.Im interested in seeing the Disabled people being lightened with the hope of life that actually there was a great reason why they were made that way for God glorified Himself in their Diasbility to our eyes yet they can do things that a normal person cannot do. I decided to stand in the gap for such life fullfiling the will of Mighty God

4. Facebook is kind-of like a pay-phone when you could have stopped in the studio to use a microphone to send your samples and opinions. [Just another anal-O-gee / Oops, ANALOGY... 8-]

5. The premise of the survey is that any social connections should count. C’mon now. People are buying most of these fans. It’s just like the rest of the current economy. People with money take advantage. You can’t blame them I guess. The reality is that they are paying bribes to get votes. So, we stand firm in our belief that none of them should be counted and have no idea how Reverb could benefit from the situation in the long run. It gives the rankings a total lack of credibility as most of the top 100 have something like 1,000,000 fans most of which are bought. No one can get in the top 10 without financial backing to buy their way in. People are starting to catch on and Reverb itself makes no money at all when people give the money to Facebook to buy fans. Makes no sense from any standpoint. Please stop the nonsense and quit counting all this silly stuff. It is a road to nowhere and has nothing to do with the music.

6. Jed says:

@ChordSlinger n Lola,

Just so there is no confusion here, are you making a comment on the value that artists are placing on these social connections – i.e. the survey?

Or are you commenting on a totally different topic – Reverb Charts?

7. Mike Borgia says:

The artists who believe that Facebook likes hold as much value as they are claiming, are clearly far too attached to their egos. A mailing list has far more impact thank a Facebook like. Likes have no engagement and only serve as a small piece of fan interaction. Likes, plays, views are all in the same category and do not mean a whole lot, nor do they contribute to anyone being a “true” fan. It’s not real life by any means. I’ve see bands often who have 5k Facebook likes and then I go see them live and no one is at their show. Online stats are simply a guage at how your fans interact, but in the real world, it’s about fan attendance and the ambition to
    Buy your merch and support the artist they love not “Like”

8. gwamba says:

please! i “like” reverbnation, and it is from my own free will that i”like” you. Maybe you are not aware of the debauchery at hand. If you were you might not print an Orson Wells piece that will only stir the bee’s! I get at least 50 messages a day that say nothing more than “like for like”? or, just a Facebook URL, and nothing else. Bands that are preoccupied with “likes”, or bogus fan counts simply don’t have any fans( i use the word fan loosely) i read an article that stated the marketing company’s that help implement these clever information gathering buttons, were in fact starting to see useless info because of the “you like me ill like you” rage. On Facebook they even have an option where a band can select, that someone must click there like button to hear there music,,,,? how do i know i will like it before i hear it? Think about this. If every one increased there like count by one….you do the math.
    Bands, comon…have some dignity, stop begging. worry less about your fan count, and like numbers and more about rehearsing and song writing. All the begged, bought and traded numbers will soon be worth squat! Impression numbers are whats really going on if ya wanna know!…”impression for impression anyone?
    I’m not ranting, just stating facts before coffee….i degrees.
    ~g~

9. Randy Kobat says:

Facebook likes do not equate to fans showing up at gigs. In fact, creating events on Facebook and inviting your fans pretty much get ignored on Facebook now. So I do not agree with this assessment other than a Facebook “like” makes the band feel self important. You can only create a relationship with your fans electronically by getting their email and beginning a conversation via email. Then fans will buy.

10. Ken Dulin says:

ReverbNation | NYC, NY and Facebook they have done nothing to fix Ken Dulin’s missing 3,000 likes that as of 12/16/2011 are I quote ; valued 3 times more than twitter @kendulin

11. ChordSlinger says:

Hi Jed – I am commenting on the value of counting social network friends on Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc. for anything at all towards band equity. If bands could not buy faceabook and other fans, it would be a useful measure. But…. since they can and since most of the higher ranking groups do (we don’t), they have much less significance than they should and in fact leads to people buying their way to the top with none of the money coming back to ReverbNation. Bottom line is that the rankings are less meaningful and people with more money to burn rise to the top.

12. DOUG DEW says:

In my opinion FACEBOOK HAS A HIGHER POPULARITY RATE AND APPS THAT MAKE IT EASIER TO UPDATE AND STAY SOCIALLY CONNECTED SO DOES ALOT OF OTHER SITES BUT FACEBOOK AROUSE FROM STUDENTS TO STUDENTS TO BANDS AND EVERYBODY ELSE

Hi Ken — As we’ve mentioned in the past, only Facebook has control over your likes. You might want to take it up with them if you’re noticing discrepencies.

14. Jed says:

@ChordSlinger,

Happy to have that conversation again, but its a little off topic from this survey blog post (which is about Artist’s attitudes toward other social networking connections). Hit me with an email if you’d like to discuss it more.

15. I’ve not been a long time on Reverbnation, but I have found that if your looking for likes to put food on your table you may starve. I would much much more prefer that my peers like what I’m doing. I have a Facebook account, as well as Myspace, and I don’t rely on either. Being in close contact with your own area along with e-mailing seems to me to be the best way to contact and build your fan base. A good entertainer should be in touch with people, not a keyboard. My Facebook ” friends” mostly ignore my posts. Hit the street !!! By the way, I’ve entertained people for about 20+ years. Success is not guaranteed.

16. Andrew says:

My honest opinion is that facebook has still got the edge on the social media front to date. It is a choice each and every time a new friend or new fan clicks the “Like” button or ” friend requests” or “Follows” another tweepie, or shares an excellent joke, awesome song, informative article, and the million of other awesome things we do because of evolution. To those who are bitching because you think you can buy “friends” to climb the charts, just let it go. If you happen to have been one of them, Im sorry for you because you cheated yourself out of some very valuable insight into the possible career choices you may or may not be making as a musician, as an artist, and as someone who has a voice. A voice that miraculously can travel around the world and be heard because what you are saying in your songs, and in every art form you chose , because of our social media sites, or evolution, needs to be heard by someone, somewhere, at the exact moment it reaches them. I did not intend to get off the topic at all but to only point out the value in each choice we make on these excellent tools such as facebook, twitter, reverbnation, and more. ReverbNation is amazing because of the incredible detail and mind blowing ability to calculate all of the internet traffic for all of the Artists, Venues,, and Labels who use them the way they were built and keep evolving to be used. Again, if you decided to buy into one of those scams to get more Band Equity through paying for “friends, and or “followers” you sucked the value out of any possible genuine following you may have earned. With the music industry changing the ways in which it is and so incredibly fast, all of us as Independent Artist see tremendous value in the social media sites that are still alive and well, and beginning to see awesome value in the new ones like Google +, which is incredibly active and a lot of fun if you have not tried it yet. We realize this value because without the proper use of these excellent tools not a single one of us stands a chance finding the proper avenues through which to launch our very first national campaign so that we are not just trusting these so called industry professionals. If you bought your friends, the pioneers of the music industry who were responsible for absolutely all things inspirational, and life changing, are not fooled by the way you try and cheat for a position higher on some chart. The artists who voices will be heard around the world time and time again are able to legitimately build their fans as well as their mailing lists. They will do so through an unbelievable amount of hard work, sacrifice, and music industry uncertainties. Because of their voice being real and the amazing abilities to see almost precision statistical information regarding marketability, and literally everything else, An true artist can not fake good art and the proper avenues through which to achieve success might happen to find you.

17. nganguem says:

victor nganguem (mpongo system) artiste musicien auteur et compositeur chef d’entreprise biographie mpongo system ets les chats noirs :j’aime tout le monde

18. I prefer myspace because is more expressive and artistic than facebook, but in facebook it’s possible to meet more people than myspace.

19. Artist believe that Facebook has more merit because of its social networking power. An artist can have fans and interact with his/her fans at an incredible and personal level that matches no other social media today. With tools like “My Band” and Reverbnation, an artist can have full control over what is being shared with fans and how often. With the ability to post updates and share different forms of media with their fans, an artist can feel like he/she is truly connected with their fans. Therefore, connection, control, and interaction are the three benefits of Facebook for the artist and musician.

Bryan Drewyor

20. THANKS BUT I THINK IT IS JUST AS SIMPLE AS SAYING THERE ARE MORE USERS ON FACEBOOK….

21. Was hoping you guys would like to exchange blog rolls let us know. Thanks in advance Y.H.A!

22. neromu-sa says:

this is all me. u will get to know all well

23. This is how I would rank them and why.

1. Fan Reach Pro – no other tool allows you to have such detailed insights and control over your information recipients (sex, location, age, gender, etc). Also, the analytics section is very detailed. This is very useful to see what is and isn’t working / who is and isn’t supporting. Also, many ppl do not log on to each social site each day, but more than likely they will check there email. Also, as social networks die or change, people usually keep the same email. Allowing your band to preserve the connection.

2. Twitter Followers – simple b/c it allows you to get information out fast. Also, thru retweets, cross-promotion with others can be very helpful.

3. Reverbnation fans – under the stats tab, you can see detailed analytics which are unavailable with any other website to my knowledge (ex: where page visitors are coming from / top listeners and fans / which widgets are being successful.

4. Facebook fans – the benifit of Facebook is that it is the most popular social network right now. But there are very few tools on there designed specifically for band promotion. Also, oftentimes, Facebook users are not there to listen to music / discover new artists. Most just want to talk to their family and friends. I feel the Facebook “shares” are much mor important than Facebook likes. Overall from my personal experience this is one of my least engaged groups.

5. YouTube – can’t say much because I don’t use it much. But I can see how these subscribers are very critical. Because “seeing is believing”!

6. Soundclick – thriving network with real daily interactions for active users. Intended for bands so friends are usually pretty engaged.

7. Myspace – nearly worthless. The network is dead. I sent a message to over 80,000 on there and less than 200 opened. Smh!!!

My fan breakdown:
    RN fans – 18,824
    FanReach – 19,233
    Myspace – 83,925
    Facebook – 1,845
    My Band – 3
    Twitter – 9,639
    YouTube – 24

PS: Jed, if you read this, please tell how to apply for a job with Reverbnation. I have been a musician for 15 years and I will complete my Phd in electrical engineering with a 4.0 gpa in May 2012. I feel that I could be a valuable contributor to the RN family. I promote daily and I am as knowledgeable as anyone in regards to the RN website.

24. Major Flow says:

I feel like Facebook has managed to monopolize the social end of the internet and “FORCE” artists and businesses to get “LIKES” for their page. Aretha Franklin didn’t have a Facebook page. Master P didn’t have a Facebook page. Yet, these artists are still successful to this day. The interenet, and society has created the demand for “LIKES” on Facebook. I could be the greatest musician in the world, but if you got to my Facebook page and I only have 4 “LIKES” I’m instantly considered below average by this artificial standard that Facebook has created. I think it has made it more difficult for independent artists to be successful and has created a sespool of fan hoarders advertising and begging people to LIKE their Facebook page.

It’s good for Mark Zuckerberg, but bad for independent artists and small businesses; simply because they don’t have the budget or capacity to market and promote an effective Facebook ad campaign to gain fans and likes. I

Hi, Shelly here. Thanks for your long and well-considered reply. I’m sure Jed will take a look. Meanwhile, check out our careers page — http://www.reverbnation.com/main/careers

26. @Shelly Thanks. I will go to the page now.

27. Our charts would be similar to what you posted. The thing about Facebook is we know that most Facebook users login way more often and other social media sites. For this reason we spend alot more time promoting our facebook page then any other site. Except RN. in which you didn’t include in your chart.

28. We Had Over 2600 Likes From Facebook , One I Called The Staff At RN And We Re-Linked My Website And Lost All Our Hits , Needless To Say We Had To Start All Over , Now We Are Up To A Little Over 300 , Is There Any Way To Get The Hits We Loss’d . Also I Am Having A Hard Time Allocating My Flag Counter On Our Website . Can Anyone On The Staff Help Me With These Issues .
    Jojo Taylor BMI

29. Paul Sprawl says:

The most valuable social networking is what leads to the most face-to-face connections. Yeah, I know that selling stuff on the Net helps, but it’s still the real world connection that I value most. For myself, having quit my day job in 1997 to become an obscure solo performer (making and selling new cds) traveling in a van around the USA for about 8 months a year (I don’t travel as much now), these are the most valuable social networking tools:

1. Email (FanReach Pro works well for me these days)
    2. Video (seeing me performing seems to help. I use YouTube)
    3. Facebook (I get more interaction here)
    4. All the others (I don’t have much sense that any of these do much, but I send content because it’s very easy)

I’m gonna try Livestream this year.

30. Robert Watson says:

You are definently on target, Shelly. Getting “likes” on Facebook is worth a lot more than Twitter, Google +, let alone Myspace. It is a nature in the business these days.

31. Zak Winters says:

As a web.business owner I understand that the Facebook “like” number matters.. But it really has nothing to do with music and its true thats it’s mostly gained by having a paid team behind you… but yet it matters.. and I am surprised I’ve never explored this question more thoroughly…