WAKA WHAT?! Every Winter, the cool people behind Wakarusa Music Festival 2012 — a grassroots festival nestled in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas — travel around on a quest to find the best musicians in the Midwest. They call this fantastic odyssey the Waka Winter Classic Tour! At a total of seventeen stops, several bands who submitted through ReverbNation will compete in regional talent showcases for the chance to perform at Wakarusa.
So far, bands in four locations have won and will get to play at Wakarusa (congrats!!). Here they are:
…imagine yourself standing on stage, looking out over a sea of thousands of fans while rocking out on one of the most beautiful beaches in the country... Got the picture? Then submit to this truly amazing opportunity before February 28 and see if you’re the lucky band that makes this dream a reality.
UPDATE (2/8/12): Hangout Music Fest just announced this year’s lineup! Click on the image for more info.
“2012 Hang Loose Band Competition,” presented by America’s premier beachfront music festival, The Hangout Music Fest, gives ten up-and-coming ReverbNation bands the chance to put their music in front of thousands of online fans. And one lucky winner will head to Gulf Shores, Alabama and perform a highly coveted performance slot as part of the all-star line-up during the weekend of May 18-20. Past years lineup has included the likes of Paul Simon, Foo Fighters, Cee Lo Green, Trey Anastasio, John Legend, The Roots, The Flaming Lips, The Black Keys, and more.
“Giving fans the best music experience of the year means turning them on to new groups they may not have heard of yet,” states Hangout Music Fest co-founder, Shaul Zislin. “ReverbNation is the perfect platform to discover the next big thing, and we’re happy to offer our stage to whoever has what it takes. May the best band win!”
Enter today and you could be one of the top ten selected by the Hangout Music Fest to have a song streamed on the Hangout website beginning March 1, 2012. Fans will vote for the band they want to see play at the festival with the winner announced on March 12. That lucky winner will not only play the show, as an added bonus, they’ll also get three-day festival passes to enjoy the whole festival experience.
“We are very excited to work with Hangout in providing our artists with such a great opportunity,” said Howard Han, head of our Live group. “Hangout deserves a lot of credit for putting Gulf Shores back on the map as a premier tourist destination after the tragic oil spill of 2010, and their goodwill now extends to the young, talented bands who work hard enough to deserve this kind of big break. We can’t wait to hear the results!”
Stay tuned for news on this year’s line up at www.hangoutmusicfestival.com. Submitting is FREE, but don’t wait — submissions end February 28! Click here for more details.
“What were your favorite music-related things in 2011?”
That was the question going around in the office as the end of 2011 approached, so we decided to make a blog post out of it (better late than never, right?)! No matter if we work in the development department or in finance, we all have at least one thing in common: the passion for music. Take a minute to read our staff’s Best of 2011 list and get to know us a little better!
In alphabetical order:
Brittany. reverbliveteam|the token southerner | billboard top 100 lover of the office | lil wayne is her jam
Wakarusa ’11 – Crowd at Mumford & Sons
Top Festivals of 2011 (in alphabetical order)
41st Glastonbury Festival
Camp Bisco X
Hangout festival 2011
South by Southwest Festival
Wakarusa Music and Camping Festival 2011
Carl. development department |far too complex of a person to be boiled down into so few words
Top 5 albums (in no particular order)
Active Child – You Are All I See
M83 – Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming
SBTRKT – SBTRKT
Bon Iver – Bon Iver
Washed Out – Within and Without
Chris. financedepartment | cool dude
My favorite music discoveries on ReverbNation this year
Jason. reverblive team |brooklyn hipster with southern charm
Top 10 Shows I Saw In 2011
1.The Flaming Lips & Philip Glass – 03/03 – Carnegie Hall
2. Animal Collective – 07/12 – Prospect Park
3. Ólafur Arnalds – 01/25 – Highline Ballroom
4. Active Child – 11/22 – Webster Hall
5. Omar Rodríguez López Group – 03/28 – Theatre of the Living Arts
6. Bon Iver – 08/09 – United Palace Theatre
7. MGMT – 11/11 – Guggenheim Museum
8. Panda Bear – 07/03 – Music Hall of Williamsburg
9. Sufjan Stevens – 08/02 – Prospect Park
10. Cotton Jones – 03/12 – Union Pool
Lou. co-founder | best known for seeing thousands of live shows (this year) | won ‘”the best heavy metal mullet in NYC” award back in the day
Lou’s Top Live Event: Vans Warped Tour
Top Live Events
— Warped Tour for the 15th time with Reverb NYC staff and my kids
— The Hollywood Kills performance at the Driven Music Conference in Atlanta
— Under the Elephant performance at Dewey Beach Music Conference in Delaware
— All the performances at the Americana Music Awards (sitting next to Robert Plant for awhile didn’t hurt)
Top New Albums
Steven Wilson – Grace for Drowning
Blackfield – Welcome to My DNA
Anathema – Falling Deeper
Ryan Adams – Ashes & Fire
Radiohead – The King of Limbs
Foster the People – Torches
Mariana.marketing | brazilian | wants to live in an african tribe one day
Top Music Things of 2011
– Top Festival attended – Roskilde Festival, Denmark. Think great music, friendly and peaceful people, and muddy tents.
– Top music discovery – Secretly Fond Of. Ok, yes, I’m a little biased because my friend is in the band — but I wouldn’t do this if I didn’t truly enjoy their music!
– Top music discovery on ReverbNation – Sara Lewis. I can’t explain, but her music helps me focus when I’m at work.
– Top new music service – Spotify. I get to be a stalker and listen to my friends’ playlists.
Nathan. customer service | Jeg liker musikk mye… akseptere at jeg ikke
British producer James Blake
Top 10 Albums of 2011
1. James Blake – James Blake
2. Future Islands – On the Water
3. Real Estate – Days
4. Bon Iver – Bon Iver
5. Blackout Beach – Fuck Death
6. EMA – Past Life Martyred Saints
7. Ganglians – Still Living
8. The Men – Leave Home
9. Pure X – Pleasure
10. Wu Lyf – Go Tell Fire to the Mountain
Angel Olsen – Strange Cacti
Beach Fossils – What a Pleasure
Burial – Street Halo
Gross Ghost – Wicked Games
Woodsman – Mystic Places
The Babies – Run Me Over
Bonnie Prince Billy – There is No God
Destroyer – Kaputt
Ducktails – Killin the Vibe
St Vincent – Surgeon
Neal. customer service|sneaker aficionado | carolina basketball super fan
Top 10 Albums of 2011
1. The Weeknd – House of Balloons
2. Mayer Hawthorne – How Do You Do
3. J.Cole – Cole World : The Sideline Story
4. Skyzoo – The Great Debater
5. The Cool Kids – When Fish Ride Bicycles
6. The Roots – undun
7. Median – The Sender
8. The Black Keys – El Camino
9. Kooley High – David Thompson
10. Raphael Saadiq – Stone Rollin’
Patrick. digital distribution department | interested in matadors | plump and homely
The Black Keys performed twice on SNL in 2011
Top 5 Albums (in no particular order)
Middle Brother – Middle Brother
The Black Keys – El Camino
Arctic Monkeys – Suck it and See
The Kills – Blood Pressures
The Strokes – Angles
Parker. customer service | has the dopest dice rolling skills around | owns the best beard in the office
Top 10 Albums
1. The War On Drugs – Slave Ambient
2. Akron/Family – The Cosmic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT
3. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks – Mirror Traffic
4. Wilco – The Whole Love
5. Mastodon – The Hunter
6. My Morning Jacket – Circuital
7. Amon Amarth – Surtur Rising
8. Drive-By Truckers – Go-Go Boots
9. Paul Simon – So Beautiful or So What
10. Man Man – Life Fantastic
What a Phish show looks like
Top 5 Shows/Fests (in no particular order)
— Phish, June 17, Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Charlotte, NC
— Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, Oct 1, Haw River Ballroom, Saxapahaw, NC
— Hopscotch Music Festival, Sept. 8-10, Raleigh, NC
— Floyd Fest, July 28-31, Floyd, VA
— The War On Drugs, Oct. 11, King’s, Raleigh, NC
Sam. customer service | purveyor of impressions | psychedelic jams | knows over one million facts about seinfeld
Top 10 Albums
1. The War On Drugs — Slave Ambient
2. Wye Oak — Civilian
3. Dodos — No Color
Arctic Monkeys: Another RN Favorite
4. Fleet Foxes — Helplessness Blues
5. Disappears — Guider
6. St. Vincent — Strange Mercy
7. Future Islands — On The Water
8. WU LYF — Go Tell Fire To The Mountain
9. Toro Y Moi — Underneath The Pine
10. Arctic Monkeys — Suck It And See
Top 5 Songs
Calgary — Bon Iver
Before The Bridge — Future Islands
Suck It And See — Arctic Monkeys
There’s Room In My Will — Invisible Hand
Hanging On — Active Child
Todd. development department|currently writing an autobiography, which he’s planning on publishing as a trilogy, the last volume posthumously
Top 10 Guitar Chords
1. E – The first chord you learn.
2. C – Folk and bluegrass would be nowhere without this gem.
3. Bm – When you need to get to the bridge, this is where you go.
4. C/B – How else can you get from C to Am?
5. D – 3/4 just seems easier in D.
6. Bar Chord – Pop. Punk. Metal. Whatever. Slide up a fret, and it’s a new chord. Magic.
7. Am – There is no better way to start the blues
8. Absus6 – There’s just a little extra tension in this beauty, ready to be resolved.
9. E7add#9 – If it’s good enough for Jimi, it’s good enough for me.
10. FM7 – Like floating on clouds of harmony. N.B. Proper tuning is extra important on this one.
Zack. customer service| loves hate music… hates love music… minus the love and hate part plus a side of hate dipped love
Pitchfork reviews ‘Helplessness Blues’ as a “deeper, more intricate, and more complex” album
Top 5 Albums
1. Animals As Leaders – Weightless
2. Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues
3. Paul Simon – So Beautiful or So What
4. Active Child – You are all I see
5. Radiohead – King of Limbs
Top 5 Shows
1. Secret Cheifs 3 – Local 506, Chapel Hill
2. Animals as Leaders – Greene Street, Greensboro
3. Born of Osiris/ Veil of Maya – Greene Street, Greensboro
4. Fleet Foxes – Raleigh Ampitheatre
5. Deftones – Fillmore, Charlotte
Now it’s your turn! We want to learn a little bit about you — what were your favorite music things in 2011?
So you think you’re the next undiscovered worldwide music sensation? Here’s your chance to find out. Hard Rock Cafe is on the hunt for rock stars on the rise to take the stage at the Hard Rock Calling 2012 music festival in London’s Hyde Park.
The contest — Hard Rock Rising — is like no other battle of the bands before it. First, it’s presented by Hard Rock Cafe so you know it’s legit. Second, the prize package is unbelievable (three top winners, with the number one band getting $10,000 in PROMOTE IT credits to advertise on Facebook.) And third, an all-expense paid gig at Hard Rock Calling, headlined by The Boss, Bruce Springsteen!. And entering is FREE!
You want in!? Here are the guidelines to enter:
– You need a ReverbNation profile. They’re FREE!
– Each band/artist may enter through no more than ONE Hard Rock location — there are 86 participating around the globe!
– You or one of your bandmates must live in the same country as that location.
Here’s how it works:
Phase 1: First round winners are determined by fan downloads on participating Hard Rock Facebook pages. One download equals one vote.
Phase 2: Top vote getters (a minimum of nine per location) play in a series of live competitions and one winner from each location will be crowned by their peers.
Phase 3: The 86 winners from Phase 2 will all compete in a global download contest on Facebook, fueled by a FREE deluxe service package from ReverbNation (an RPK, FanReach Pro, Mega Song Storage and ProWidgets FREE for one year) plus $500 in PROMOTE IT credits to advertise your music and get more fans.
Phase 4: A panel of celebrity judges and music industry VIPs will select the top three winners.
The first place winner will be flown to London for the ultimate rock star treatment — including a spot on the bill at Hard Rock Calling 2012. Second and third prize winners will receive $5000 and $2500 respectively, in ReverbNation PROMOTE IT credits.
So what are you waiting for? The deadline for entry is January 17. Here’s the list of participating Hard Rock Cafe locations. If you see a city that’s close to you, click on it and read the details and full rules. Believe me, this is the opportunity of a lifetime and it won’t cost you a dime to give it a try. Enter today!
Carmen Rizzo knows a thing or two about success in the music business: In addition to his two Grammy nominations, this Los Angeles based producer, artist, electronic musician, and composer, has writing, engineering and programming credits on Seal’s classic “Seal II” album, has produced and writen for Paul Oakenfold’s “Bunka” album, and remixed BT, Tiesto, and singers Huun Huur Tu in collaboration with Tuvan Throat. Plus he’s has frequent fixture on album credits working with artist like Coldplay, Alanis Morissette, Dido, AR Rahman, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Khaled and Pete Townshend.
Now he wants to give you a chance to show off your remix skills. He’s hand selected one of his latest tracks — “Returning to Silence” — because it’s “remix friendly, with a cool, hypnotic bass line and nice beats.” Listen for yourself here.
Then give it a shot. Rizzo encourages each entrant to have fun, be true to their own style and come up with something totally different than the original. The winner gets worldwide exposure and a featured release on Electrofone Records.
Click here to get step-by-step instructions for downloading all you need to get started and then uploading your finished remix masterpiece.