Facebook Timeline for Pages: What Does It Mean For You

by Liz Moy on February 29, 2012 · Comments

You may have heard about Facebook’s recent changes to your page. Timeline is now available to all Facebook Fan Pages. But don’t panic as you have until March 30th to redesign your page and officially publish it when it’s ready.

If you switch to Timeline now, do it knowingly since you can’t go back to the old design.  Also, keep in mind that if you have Band Profile app or Venue Profile app, when you switch, they will no longer be your landing page. Facebook gives you until March 30th to preview and explore the new design. Use the time wisely!

So what does the Timeline mean to bands and venues? We’re doing a complete review and will post more updates as soon as Facebook announces them.

For now, this is what we know.

1) Cover photo: Just like your personal Facebook page, you can now have a big photo (851p x 315 pixels) besides your profile picture. We suggest you make good use of it by using images that best represent your personality and the style of your music.

2) Landing page: You will no longer have a default landing page of your choice. Instead, everyone will always land on your Timeline. So if your fans want to listen to your music, watch your videos, find out about concert dates, you can (and should) share the direct link to your Band/Venue Profile on your website, blog, and put it in your page’s About section. Your fans can also click on the Band/Venue Profile tab, as shown below:

3) Tabs: The tabs, which used to be under the profile picture, are now under the big and shiny cover photo. The ‘Photos’ tab is fixed in place, but you can change the other three around. To make Band Profile a feature tab, click on the dropdown menu next to the 4th tab, click the Pencil icon, and choose the tab you would Band Profile to “switch positions with,” as shown below:

4) Message: The new cool thing about Timeline is that your fans can personally send you a message, much like the way it works on a personal Facebook page. Once they message you, you can message them back, so this is a great way to improve and expand the fan-musician relationship.

UPDATE I:

5) Highlight: Another cool update on Facebook is the ability to highlight your stories. A highlight will make the pictures and videos  larger and more eye-catching.

6) Pin:  You can also pin the story to the top of your Timeline for up to a week (but we believe you can re-pin it again). This is a great opportunity for musicians and venues alike to feature new songs, concert dates, photos and videos.  To do this, click the pencil icon in the upper right of the post and select Pin to Top.

UPDATE II:

On March 12th, we launched a suite of cool apps for artists and venues to install on their Timeline. These apps will take fan interaction to a whole new level! Read more about ReverbNation’s apps for Facebook Timeline on this blog post.

Follow us on Twitter for updates or email us at support@reverbnation.com and we’ll try to help as much we can!

Comments

1. Mike Borgia says:

Im sure people can see how Facebook is taking the direction of where myspace profiles ended up. One big mess of content hard to manage and wasted modules.
    Google+ is going to get all the glory soon.

2. Can´t see any changes on my page yet…

3. TrioplayBand says:

Thanks for this information! I prefer the old look and landing page. i think it is much easier for the fans to listen to the music. Now they have to click on Tabs….

Trioplayband

4. nancy-ann michaud says:

is there a way to avoid getting timeline as our band page? i think it sucks if people have to click on something else to listen to our songs..
    i’m beginning to be really fed up with facebook.. they a re NOT making it easy for us

5. Timeline is showing too much information at once. Right Column, left column. Confusing. But it’s here to stay until the next big upsetting change :)

So let’s make the best of it!

6. Not at all anti-change, but this one seems to be detrimental to those of us you have used “Promote It” or similar external campaigns. With the landing page, everything was there for a new listener to see at once. You could require a “like” for content access. You had a big button offering a “Free Song Download”.Taking those little tools away from an unknown act only seems to make things harder to get one’s music out there. Really hope that I’m wrong on this.

7. [...] Facebook Timeline For Pages: What Does It Mean For You? (ReverbNation) [...]

8. Mariana says:

Hi Nancy – You can delay switching to Timeline until March 30th, but after that, Facebook will officially switch everyone’s profiles to Timeline.

9. Mariana says:

Hi Relevant Discord – We hear ya! The new Timeline is not ideal for tabs because there will be no more landing pages. However, that should not affect your “Promote It” campaign in any way. Your Band Profile app is still there and you can feature it better than before by positioning it as one of your top 3 tabs (read #2 above). If you were promoting your Band Profile with Promote It, the campaign will still bring people to the Band Profile. We hope this helps! We’re working on some new and exciting stuff to adapt to this change! Stay tuned.

10. Brian says:

I didn’t like losing the landing pages like for band profiles. But one thing you can do is directly link your old landing page (mostly likely your band profile page) to your facebook icon on your website. There are also other ways to recreate the old ladning pages and the one thing facebook has done, is just make the job of self-promotion a bit more difficult.

11. [...] Facebook Timeline for Pages: What Does It Mean For You [...]

12. Noel Webb says:

Hi guys. I’m quite involved with ReverbNation. Enjoy the heck out of it. On facebook, I only want my “band” page, but I can only access my band page by logging into my personal page. I don’t know whether to delete one of the two, or how to handle this. Can you help me so I can just use you guys on my “band” page and advertise the heck out of the applications you’ve offered me?
    Noel Webb

13. skinnycandy says:

One of the reasons I pulled our band from facebook last autumn is this perpetual facebook messing about with – and homogenisation of – content. And another thing: who on earth has the time to be constantly glued to facebook to respond to traffic, and again and again, having to keep re-uploading stuff in response to facebook tweaks all the flamin time; you’ll never get any songs written! Apps are the future folks: straight to pocket for fans. Reverbnation have set-up a great platform to create those, and, is a far better environment for communication with fans, as is our own website. Facebook is rubbish, frankly. Viva reverbnation xx

14. Mariana says:

Why, thank you! For those who doesn’t have our mobile app yet, we have a free trial going on right now: http://www.reverbnation.com/main/overview_artist?feature=your_own_mobile_app

15. Mariana says:

Hi Noel – This is a question directed at Facebook rather than ReverbNation. But I can tell you that in order to have a ReverbNation’s Band Profile, you have to have a Fan Page (this is your Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Noel-Webb/149113918576), and to have a Fan Page you have to have a personal page because your Fan Page is administered by your personal page (https://www.facebook.com/noelwebb7). Does it make sense?

16. Mariana says:

Ah! Thank you for being a loyal user of our services :)

17. Aileen says:

The picture at the top is great but everything else is horrible. Facebook has opened the door for it’s demise. Look at the page setup at MySpace. Facebook took over because of the easy viewing of it’s pages and info. This double column is the worse idea ever and you might crash and burn!!! It’s your call….a former MySpace and maybe former Facebook user.

18. David says:

Hi,

I have a personal page and a band page and also your pages.

I can’t seem to get a permanent link on my personal page to show I do have a band profile.

How can I do that please?

Also what is the best way to get people to know about the band/Rev page? With a link like I want?

David

19. Edu Camargo says:

You guys from Reverbnation has just implemented something big. Some time ago people could land on our pages and could audition automatically the songs… That made all the diference. But then Facebook came up and changed all that was perfect for don’t know what reason. Consequently, as most have expressed here, it became hard for us to keep our content accessible to the public via Facebook. I’ve already turned off sync for Twitter because I finally found no sense on using twitter for contents that people could access by visiting my RN profile. Facebook will be the next, despite all its penetration of users worldwide. Ok, I have more fans on FB than on RN, but this may change, as all things in this world, including Facebook. The less I use RN’s platform it seems that more response I get from RN all alone, so I see no need to duplicate things. If one wants to listen to my music, reach me on my RN’s profile and futurely, on my official page, like educamargo.com or something. If one wants to see me, go to my YouTube channel. Life goes on, and I also agree that building an app is the way to go.

20. Edu Camargo says:

*REASON FOR REPOSTING=POSTED WRONG LINK.*

21. Mariana says:

Hi David – You cannot have the Band Profile app on your personal page, only your band/musician Facebook page. This is Facebook’s ruling, not ours.
    To spread the word about your page — share your ReverbNation link wherever accepted — twitter, FB, your live shows, etc.!

22. Xandro Nieto says:

I wonder how this page came up with their reverbnation as their default landing tab. Does this mean they didn’t convert their page into timeline ?

I feel bad that facebook does not allow reverbnation as the defaul page anymore.. =(

23. Mariana says:

Hi Xandro – the Facebook page exemplified here did not come up with Reverb as default landing tab. As you know, with Timeline, that’s not possible anymore. What we recommend is that you send a link to your fans directing them to one of your ReverbNation apps, that way when they click on it, they will go straight to your ReverbNation Band Profile on Facebook.